A modern dental exam is much more than checking for cavities! During an examination at Ballinrobe Dental we:
- Evaluate your overall health and oral hygiene
- Evaluate your risk of tooth decay, root decay, and gum / periodontal disease
- Evaluate your need for tooth restoration or tooth replacements
- Check for signs and symptoms of Oral Cancer
- Check your bite and jaw for orthodontic or occlusal problems
- Remove stains and deposits from the teeth
- Demonstrate proper cleaning techniques
- Assess your dental caries (tooth decay) risk
- Assess your need for Fluoride application
- Take Digital Dental X-rays and Digital Intra-Oral Photos if necessary
The dental exam may also include counselling on diet, use of tobacco products and lifestyle choices that can affect oral health.
Before the dental examination you will be asked to complete a Medical History and Consent Form.
On this you must inform the dentist of any health problems you have or medications you are taking. The dentist will discuss how these health problems or medications can affect your oral health. For example, if you are diabetic you are much more likely to develop severe gum disease. If you are taking depression medications you are much more likely to suffer from Bruxism (tooth grinding). It is vital that you discuss your full medical history with the dentist.